Escape to the countryside
Now fully re-open
Shropshire glamping holidays – dog-friendly luxury en-suite, heated pods, hidden away in the beautiful lake-lands of Ellesmere with relaxing panoramic views overlooking the Cheshire Plain and Welsh hills.
Our three self-catering pods are furnished to a high standard with under-floor heating making them cosy all year round.
Each pod has a comfy sofa and a double bed (a single guest bed can be added to accommodate an extra person), television, shower room and a small kitchen area equipped with a fridge and microwave. The pods have decking and a lawned area with a fire pit for a barbeque.
Whilst offering the opportunity to ‘get away from it all’, the reality of modern life is that connectivity is important, so each glamping pod has a Freeview TV and free Wi-Fi internet connection. Our broadband is at ‘rural speed’, so we’ve hard-wired the ethernet cable all the way to each pod to get the best available signal.
Ian and Janet Kelly have run Birch Hill Farm – an award-winning 5-van caravan site for 18 years: voted ‘Best Small Site’ in the UK for 3 years running, and named as the Caravan Club ‘CL of the Year’, with prize awarded in the House of Commons.
We diversified in 2019 to add luxury glamping pods – away from the caravans – yet still enjoying the same panoramic views that our regular guests return to share year after year. If you have friends who are members of the Caravan and Motorhome Club, please direct them to our Birch Hill Caravan and Motorhome Club CL website.
You might just want to relax and enjoy the peace of the countryside and the warmth of our pods, but there is plenty to see and do in and around North Shropshire (see below). Our minimum booking is 2 nights and our maximum stay is 28 nights.
- Dates shown in red are either in the past, or fully booked.
- Half-coloured dates: if the date is in bold type and under-lined you may arrive that day.
- If you wish to make a booking that spans into another month, slide the drag-bar beneath the calendar to add a departure date in the following month.
As well as a great dog-friendly location with panoramic views, our pods are equipped as follows:
- Double bed with optional single bed if required for a third person.
- Underfloor heating
- En suite toilet & shower
- Microwave oven, fridge & kettle
- Smart television with freeview
- 13 amp electric sockets with USB charging ports.
- Broadband internet connection wired directly into each pod
- Cutlery & crockery
- Complimentary starter pack supplied with sachets of tea, coffee, sugar and a pint of milk, cleaning materials and toilet paper.
- Fire pit for barbecuing
- No smoking in the pods.
- One dog per pod permitted by arrangement and at additional charge.
- For fire safety and to prevent lingering cooking smells, we do not allow indoor cooking other than with our microwave. You may cook outdoors using our fire pit.
- We do not have the capacity to permit electric vehicle charging on site.
Things to see and do
Ellesmere is a quiet market town, dating from Saxon times, and known as the lake district of Shropshire, with glacial meres adjoining rural canals. We are on the Welsh/Shropshire border – just 2 miles from North Wales and 5 miles from Cheshire – about an hour from Liverpool, Manchester and the north-side of Birmingham. In the locality there are plenty tourist attractions such as castles, National Trust properties, steam railways and abundant bird-life. The historic cities of Chester and Shrewsbury are nearby.
Ellesmere is well-provided with shops, pubs and parking and hosts many popular events each year.
Whilst staying in Ellesmere you may just wish to enjoy the peaceful atmosphere of Archers’ Meadow, but you may also like to visit the following local places of interest in Shropshire, Cheshire and Wales.
|National Trust / Historic Houses / Museums||Shrewsbury Castle museum||Chirk Castle (NT)||Erddig (NT) Wrexham||Sunnycroft (NT) Telford||Benthall Hall (NT)||Powis Castle & gardens (NT)||Attingham Park (NT)|
|Child-friendly||Park Hall Farm Countryside Experience (incl Welsh Guards army museum). 10-pin Bowling||Techniquest science discovery centre or Cinema – both in Wrexham||Blists Hill Victorian Town or Enginuity – both at Ironbridge||Acton Scott Historic Working Farm, Church Stretton SY6 6QN||British Ironwork Centre , Oswestry SY11 4JH (good for adults too)||Hack Green Secret Nuclear Bunker , French Lane, Nantwich CW5 8AP||Llangollen – steam railway & horse-drawn canal trip|
|Towns (market days)||Oswestry Shrewsbury||Shrewsbury & Chirk Airfield car boot sale||Wrexham||Ellesmere (morning). Shrewsbury||Oswestry. Shrewsbury (river boat trip)||Wem||Oswestry Shrewsbury Whitchurch|
|Walks||Welshampton circuit - start at Ellesmere Mere||Chirk Castle start by CAMC site entrance||Canal towpath – Llangollen Canal||Colemere circuit||Oswestry Hill Fort||Alderford Lake||Canal Central Maesbury Marsh|
|Eating-out (all have dog-friendly areas)||Boathouse, Ellesmere||Royal Oak, Bangor on Dee||Red Lion, Ellesmere||Dickin Arms, Loppington||Mad Jacks or Narrow Boat||Sun Inn, Welshampton||Cross Foxes, Erbistock|
|Dog-Friendly Days Out||Hawkstone Park Follies||Llangollen – railway & canal trip||Blists Hill Victorian Town, Ironbridge||Alderford Lake||Colemere||Rodney’s Pillar, Breidden Hills||Oswestry Hill Fort or Old Racecourse|
|Gardens||Dorothy Clive Garden in Clive Market Drayton||Hodnet Hall Gardens, Hodnet, Market Drayton, TF9 3NN||Bodnant Cardens, Colwyn Bay||Dingle @ The Quarry Shrewsbury||Ness Gardens Neston Road, Little Neston, Ness, CH64 4AY||Biddulph Grange, Staffordshire||Wollerton Old Hall Garden Market Drayton|
|Garden Centres||Derwen Garden Centre (have lunch at The Orangery)||Moreton Garden Centre Gledrid||Bellis’ – Holt, Wrexham||Country Garden Rose Plant Centre, Hadnall Shrewsbury SY4 3DH||Grosvenor Garden Centre Near Chester||Coed y Dinas Welshpool||Dobbie’s Garden World Shrewsbury|
|Ancient monuments||Haughmond Abbey (EH)||Lilleshall Abbey (EH)||Stokesay Castle (EH) Craven Arms||Valle Crucis (Cadw) Llangollen||Beeston Castle (EH)||Rodney’s Pillar, Breidden Hills||Chester Walls|
Golf Courses. There are eight golf clubs and nine 18-hole golf courses within 16 miles of Archers’ Meadow – see our other website for details – https://www.birchhill.co.uk/local-information/golf-courses-near-ellesmere-shropshire/
Cycle Hire. A local firm has bicycles for hire and will deliver to / collect from Archers’ Meadow. Electric-assisted bikes also available – http://www.amerecycle.co.uk/
- Shrewsbury boasts the largest number of independent retailers in the UK (as opposed to large chain-stores) – about 18 miles by road.
- Chester is well worth a trip – about 25 miles from Archers’ Meadow.
- Also consider a trip to Cheshire Oaks designer outlet – https://www.mcarthurglen.com/uk/cheshire-oaks-designer-outlet/en/
Seaside. Welsh coast – Rhyl, Prestatyn and Llandudno are just over an hour. Prestatyn is quieter than Rhyl. Llandudno is more refined.
Mountains. We are about 1¼ hrs from Betws-y-Coed in the heart of Snowdonia – the highest mountains in Wales.
- Theatre Severn, Shrewsbury – 18 miles by road
- Theatre Clwyd, Mold – 25 miles by road.
- Theatre Hafren, Newtown – 39 miles by road.
- Liverpool – several theatres – just over an hour by road
- Manchester – several theatres – about 1 hr 20 minutes by road
- Odeon, Wrexham – 11 miles by road
- Cineworld, Shrewsbury – 20 miles by road
- Ellesmere Town Hall ‘Reels on Wheels’ – last Wednesday of each month
- Wem Town Hall – http://www.wemtownhall.co.uk/ – 10 miles by road
- Plas Madoc – great for families – easy slope into the water, wave machine and water-slide.
- Wrexham – traditional rectangular pool, plus Jacuzzi, large whirlpool and rubber-ring water-slide.
- Shrewsbury – very deep pool with diving boards and long water-slide
A good base for a short stay or longer holiday: we are one mile north of Ellesmere – just 2 miles from North Wales and 5 miles from Cheshire.
Ellesmere is a friendly quiet lakeside market town in North Shropshire, that dates back to Saxon times. It is at the junction of the Llangollen and Shropshire Union Canals, which are well-suited to country walks or cycling on the rural towpaths.
The site is located over 200 metres up our private drive which is in a pleasant, safe, rural back-water. It is discretely away from the public road with pods quietly tucked-away, whilst still affording panoramic views over several counties. Archers’ Meadow is close enough to a quiet ‘A’ Road to give easy access, but far enough to be away from road noise.
The market is on Tuesday, Ellesmere having been granted a market charter by King Henry the Third nearly 800 years ago in the year 1221. The town’s floral displays have won ‘Britain in Bloom’ prizes over several years. Ellesmere has car parks, shops, banks, pubs, restaurants, cafés, tea shops and a launderette. Don’t miss the bread and butter pudding at the local baker’s shop – Vermeulen’s Delicatessen.
Archers’ Meadow @ Birch Hill Farm,
England, SY12 0LP
Archers’ Meadow, Ellesmere is at the top of Shropshire, 2 miles from North Wales and 5 miles from Cheshire.
Covid Secure Commitment
Please see below how we have changed some of our procedures to ensure we keep guests and our own family, safe and well.
Whilst there are some new processes and procedures that may be unfamiliar, rest assured that our usual high standards of friendliness and cleanliness will ensure you continue to enjoy the great outdoors with us.
Before you arrive on site
Pack your own pillows, bedding and towels, including tea towels.
PLEASE NOTE: we will not be providing Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) for your stay – you will need to bring your own PPE – e.g. face masks, sanitiser and disposable gloves etc.
Covid-19 (Coronavirus) precautions:
- Do not travel to the site if anyone in your household, or if anyone you have recently been in contact with, has symptoms of Covid-19.
- Bring your own pillows, bedding and towels, including tea towels. Our beds have clean mattress protectors.
- The main bed is a double bed (UK-size 6ft 3” long x 4ft 6” wide).
- We can provide an additional single bed on request.
- Guests are not to use Archers’ Meadow as a base from which to self-isolate, shield or quarantine.
- Do not share facilities. Only touch water taps and bins that are part of your own glamping pod. There are other taps and bins on site that are purely for use by other guests.
- Please arrange to meet friends off-site. Day visitors not allowed at the moment as a Covid 19 precaution.
- Regularly wash your hands for a minimum of 20 seconds and keep a safe distance from other campers.
- To protect ourselves from Coronavirus, we no longer accept cash or cheques. Your accommodation fee is therefore payable in full before arrival via our online booking system. If online payment is a problem, please contact us by telephone or email before arrival.
- To avoid cross-contamination, we no longer issue our site information packs, so please use the information on our website.
Arriving on site
Please email us to book your intended arrival time. We would like to greet you on site when you arrive, whilst maintaining social distancing requirements. Bear in mind that this is a family-run site – we have other commitments and are not always at home.
- If your arrival time changes, please ring us on 01691 622951 or 07968 694029.
- Please stay in your vehicle and ring to say that you have arrived.
- If you are unable to check-in by phone, please advise us before arrival so an alternative process can be put in place.
If you are staying on-site and feel unwell please follow the guidance below.
- In an emergency, ring 999.
- In a non-urgent case, ring the NHS on 111 or go online to https://111.nhs.uk
- Ring us on 01691 622951 or 07968 694029 and let us know the situation.
We make no charge for the use of our Wi-Fi, but as we are in a rural area, we cannot guarantee the speed or stability of the internet signal. It is OK for basic browsing, but please avoid watching online films or gaming online as this reduces to bandwidth for other guests.
We will issue Wi-Fi passwords on arrival.
Dogs should be ‘under control’. Although our Golden Retrievers are very friendly, please do not feed them or pet them. Do not pet animals belonging to other guests.
Ellesmere is a quiet lake-side market town with sufficient shops, chemists, pubs, fuel, bottled gas, banking and a laundrette. We are 1 mile from town and there is a footpath with street lighting for most of the way.
- You may arrange deliveries, such as food, but we will NOT make orders or accept deliveries on your behalf.
- If you wish to arrange a food delivery here, our address is Birch Hill, The Cross, Ellesmere, Shropshire, SY12 0LP. Remember to provide delivery instructions along with your order. This should include giving them your vehicle registration number and putting on your 4-way flashers to identify your location when the delivery is expected.
- Our experience of living in this rural area is that online supermarket deliveries such as Tesco, Morrisons & Asda usually need to be booked about 7 – 10 days in advance.
- A quicker delivery (within 2-3 days) can be obtained by telephoning our local independent supermarket – http://www.stans-superstore.co.uk on 01691 772348 (Stan’s does not have online ordering – just telephone during normal shop hours and tell them what you want. They charge £6 per delivery).
- Milk deliveries. https://www.edwardsdairies.co.uk have online ordering and deliver in this area on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.
What if I’m unwell on site?
We really hope this doesn’t happen but if you’re staying on-site and feel unwell (with Covid symptoms), please follow the guidance below.
- Ring the NHS on 111 or go online to https://111.nhs.uk
- Ring us on 01691 622951 or 07968 694029 and let us know the situation.
- If you have COVID-19 symptoms or are contact-traced you need to go back to your place of residence immediately. This is to protect other guests and us as site owners.
- If a guest becomes unwell and is advised to have a test, the NHS track and trace guidance will need to be followed
- If you are unable to go home and have to isolate on site, your party/family are not permitted to make use of any communal facilities whilst self-isolating on site.
- All refuse from your outfit should be doubled-bagged and taken home with you, not disposed of on site.
- You can use a designated service point to dispose of toilet waste, but only by contacting the site owner in advance and arranging a specific time to do this. We will then need to clean the service point with the appropriate chemicals before anyone else uses it.
- If you are unable to leave the site we may relocate your unit away from the CL pitching area for isolation.
- We can give advice about delivery of medicines, food supplies and extra cleaning materials as required. This will include creating a designated delivery area outside your pitch.
- Whilst we will try to assist in a short-term crisis, we are unlikely to be able to provide ongoing assistance. This is for two reasons:
- The Site Owner is ‘vulnerable’ due to a medical condition.
- The Site Owner might become a carrier if dealing with other guests.
Check-out is no later than 10am, ideally earlier, to allow us to prepare for the arrival of our next guests.
Please contact us urgently if you experience Covid-19 symptoms within 14 days of departure.
What we will do
If you inform us of your arrival time we will try to meet you on site when you arrive – maintaining social distancing requirements.
- We will clean ‘touch points’ once a day, such as gate latches / bolts.
- To keep face-to-face contact to a minimum, we will try to answer any questions you have by phone on 01691 622951 or 07968 694029.
- To maintain social distancing – weather permitting, we will try to carry out maintenance (mowing of grass etc.) when most guests are away from site.